The IMAP server in my office is configured to not simply accept username/password authenticated connections from the internet. As an additional security measure, it requires the client to present a valid SSL client certificate, issued by the internal CA, resulting in mutual SSL authentication.
The Mail client on the iPhone, on the other hand, does not support SSL client certificates. While it is possible to deploy a client certificate using the iPhone configuration utility, this cert will only be presented to web servers, but not to mail servers.
My workaround is to use stunnel, the universal SSL wrapper, on the iPhone. This, of course, requires the iPhone to be jailbroken. I’ll leave the jailbreak and installation of stunnel as an excercise to you. :-)
I’m running stunnel as the “mobile” user, thus all the required files reside in /var/mobile. The files are:
– The stunnel configuration: /var/mobile/stunnel.conf
– The SSL certificate: /var/mobile/cert.pem
– The key matching the SSL certificate: /var/mobile/key.pem
Stunnel is configured as an SSL client. The commented-out lines may be useful for troubleshooting. I have added 10000 to the regular IMAP and SMTP ports so they are beyond the privileged port range that may only be used by root.
pid = /var/mobile/stunnel.pid
sslVersion = TLSv1
# Resolve server hostname at every reconnect,
# not only on startup (for dyndns!):
delay = yes
#foreground = yes
#debug = 7
My key is password protected, thus I start stunnel from Mobile Terminal after bootup:
Having a method for starting stunnel automatically with passphrase-less keys would be nice, but has no priority for me. Using a LaunchDaemons entry for this shouldn’t be a problem anyway.
The mail settings on the iPhone are configured to access IMAP and SMTP on localhost, port 10143 and 10025, respectively. SSL encryption is turned off for both.
This setup is surprisingly robust. The current running stunnel daemon has been started 4 days ago and has already survived a few changes of the dynamic IP address of the mail server. I have not had a single hiccup since I figured out that I need the “delay=yes” option in the configuration file to keep up with DynDNS changes. If your mail server isn’t on a dynamic IP address, all the better.